Sunday, September 4, 2011

COMMANDO or KAMIKAZE?

Will you be satisfied with what's beneath the dome?

Some cooks go COMMANDO and leave the flavoring up to the consumer. Others prefer the KAMIKAZE approach, leaving the consumer with a decision: take it or leave it.
Writers are more fortunate. We have two firm choices and a myriad of points along the continuum.

My writing preference is to add enough flavoring to define my stories, but no so much that the readers can't personalize it for their own enjoyment.


Perhaps this is a variation of the age-old Pantser vs. Plotter debate. Some of us prefer to follow a recipe, while others prefer to experiment a bit more.

What's your style?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I tried to comment but it tossed me out and deleted the post. I wrote that I was a pantster with a plan. I try to herd the stampeding plot into some semblance of order but sometimes it just tramples me. You will have to tell me how spicy my work is.
    ~J.D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful analogy. I'm with you about the flavoring. I don't want to describe the characters so much that the reader can't do any personalization. And let's be real. They're going to anyway, so we might as well save our words for things that matters.

    Besides, I suck at description. I'm getting better, but it will never be my strong point. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Interesting angle. I tend to do both, and quite unintentionally. I'll be brief with some character descriptions then go overboard with the scenery. I think a balanced approach is called for. Cooking is an art - any combination, amount might work. Baking is a science - the exact amount is necessary for it to all work. It's a balancing act. You need both art and science. :)

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete