Monday, January 10, 2011

“I’m Just Mad About Saffron”

“I’m Just Mad About Saffron”

The dichotomy between Donovan’s “Mellow Yellow” and his reference to saffron made this a memorable song for me many years ago. His deep rich voice permanently etched the song and color in my mind. I’ve always thought of saffron as the color of school buses and taxis, and perhaps even a yellow submarine or two. Saffron isn’t exactly a mellow yellow, but a heavily saturated color that once seen is never forgotten. Before today, I’d only seen saffron carefully wrapped in paper and kept in a spice jar, but I learned that saffron comes from the Crocus sativus. (pictured above) Now when I think of the color saffron, I will remember its vibrant contrast to its lovely purple blooms.
There’s a reason school buses are painted that bright color; it draws your attention and keeps the students safe. In much the same way, a well written scene will stay with your reader. Writing a scene shouldn’t be a mellow experience either, but one that stands out in your mind.  Each scene needs a pinch of saffron to make it memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment